Sunday, March 28, 2010

Weeks 11 & 12 - Sunflowers


Last week I was unable to post a piece of new art, so I'm making it up to you this week with two different pieces.  Both of these are sunflowers, done in different mediums each showing a different personality.  Yes, artwork has personality, which is why some pieces grab you more than others.  Beyond technical application, balance of light and shadow, the general flow of the piece, and the general subject of the piece; there is something in each piece of art that either resonates with the viewer or it doesn't.  Some people create art for political reasons, others for aesthetics to fit within a certain decor, but what ever the reason if  the piece does not capture you it just might not be speaking your language.
I have gotten tripped up before on the technical details of a piece, my drawings really tie me into knots thinking that I haven't gotten things into the perfect alignment or the proper shading...but still within the piece there is still a voice that cry's out to be heard.



Here is the Chinese brush painting version of a sunflower.  I would like to practice this a lot more, it's a simple flower, but the colors in the petals could be a bit more yellow next time.

Since this week has been all about sun flowers I thought I would upload an older sunflower colored pencil piece that I had done.  It is a small piece, but it has character.


This piece and the Kansas Sunflower are available for purchase through my website.  These three pieces are very different, and yet they are all of the same type of flower.  One is simple, another dramatic and the other is more playful, but each of these embodies a part of the flower's essence that can be felt.  Summer is coming...the flowers will be blooming.

Keep creating, and enjoy the beauty that surrounds you! 


Visit my website.

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful pieces! You've got a lot of talent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sunflowers are my favorite flower! Such a happy light look about them which you captured beautifully. While they are all different all your pieces here are stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both so much! I appreciate your comments.

    ReplyDelete